Chiropractic Care: 5 Important Benefits for Athletes
If you’re an athlete, your body is regularly subjected to an extreme amount of strain and stress. Besides being stressed from rigorous workouts, practices, and athletic games, you can struggle with ongoing pain, which can easily lead to severe injuries. But if you get chiropractic adjustments, you can recover quicker and even prevent injuries. A chiropractor helps the body to heal naturally by locating and correcting parts of the body where there is spinal joint dysfunction. Here are five important benefits of chiropractic care for athletes, besides a few considerations and warnings.
A huge benefit of chiropractic care is pain reduction. Consider that there are many tissues in your body that are sensitive to pain. When your spinal column has abnormal alignment patterns, these tissues become strained and stressed. The good news is that chiropractic alignments can significantly relieve pain. In fact, studies have shown that chiropractic adjustments are even more effective in reducing pain than other medical treatments.
Repairs Body Asymmetry
Body asymmetry is one of the main causes of athletic injuries. This is a problem that involves one side of your body being different from the other side. For example, one side could be stronger than the other side. In many cases, it’s an issue in which a particular side of the body is more mobile and flexible than the opposite side.
Fortunately, chiropractic adjustments can correct this condition so that the body is correctly aligned. As a result, tension is reduced when one area of your body is relieved from having to pick up the slack of a weaker area. Furthermore, there’s less chance of getting injured.
Offers Noninvasive Treatments and Doesn’t Require Drugs
One of the main perks of chiropractic care for athletes is that it’s noninvasive. Besides not having to undergo an invasive procedure, you won’t need to take painkillers. In fact, these treatments are one of the safest therapies you can receive for relieving neck pain, back pain, arm or leg pain, besides other types of musculoskeletal concerns.
Increases Your Range of Motion
When your spine is out of alignment, it can cause muscle spasms or cramping, which can affect your range of motion. By getting chiropractic adjustments, your body is able to move freely, just as it was made to do so. A chiropractor can determine the cause for restricted mobility in an area of the body and perform certain chiropractic techniques that can restore your full range of motion. As a result, you’re more flexible and blood flow is improved. What’s more, you have less or even no pain. This leads to an improvement in athletic performance as well as better endurance and fewer injuries.
Speeds up Healing
Healing occurs slowly when you have a lot of spinal misalignments. Because your body uses inflammation and muscle spasms to protect itself, the healing process can be prolonged. By getting chiropractic adjustments, your muscles can recover quicker, speeding up the recovery process. A major reason for a faster healing time is that spinal adjustments can result in less irritation on the nerve roots that lie between your vertebrae.
Considerations and Warnings
- Two other health benefits of chiropractic care for athletes are an improved pulmonary function and a better immune system.
- Consider that participating in high-impact sports can cause as much strain on your body as being in a vehicle collision.
- Regular spinal adjustments are beneficial for both low-impact and high-impact athletes.
- Getting routine adjustments can help in reducing the likelihood of injury for low-impact athletes, such as bowlers, tennis players, and golfers, while it improves performance for high-impact athletes.
- Many famous athletes, such as quarterback Tom Brady, boxing legend Mohammed Ali, championship golfer Tiger Woods, and others have reaped the rewards of chiropractic adjustments.
- Even children who engage in athletics can benefit from having routine chiropractic treatments. In addition to keeping them physically fit, chiropractic adjustments can also help kids enjoy playing competitive sports.
- Don’t wait to have symptoms before seeing a chiropractor because chiropractic care can improve athletic performance and health.
- For optimal results, use an experienced chiropractor who works with athletes.
Do you need chiropractic care? Set up an appointment at one of our South Florida Affiliated Healthcare Centers. Our highly trained and experienced doctors and medical specialists have been providing quality medical care since 1979. Our clinics have the latest technology and provide a wide range of medical services. Please contact us and learn more about all we have to offer.